Thursday, March 25, 2010

talk on adoption

A few days ago in class we were discussing homosexuality and feminism. We talked about how lesbians how couldn't 'naturally' have a baby could just adopt. "Oh, they could just adopt, you know." Hm. I feel that my undergrad peers aren't as informed as they should be on the adoption. In a sense, adoption strikes a feminist (or queer, as in queer theory) dilemma: how can women in the global north satiate their desires through the oppression of women in the global south? Homosexual women can have children too, but another people's plight shouldn't be the basis for a capitalist's dream.

Anyway, I was recommended induction into the American Sociological Associations undergrad honor society (I forget the specific greek letters), and I think I can apply for funding for symposiums. So maybe I'll organize one on international adoption next year.

4 comments:

  1. "how can women in the global north satiate their desires through the oppression of women in the global south? Homosexual women can have children too, but another people's plight shouldn't be the basis for a capitalist's dream."

    I feel like I've been discussing this ad nauseum lately. I asked this question at the Rainbow Families conference a few years ago too. It is definitely something the feminist community has NOT discussed seriously. I never thought I would have felt so oppressed by feminists than in talking about this transnational adoption.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definitely a serious question. Even as an adopted male I feel I have more experiential authority ("authority" with a grain of salt) to talk about adoption than homosexual feminists. They're on the receiving end, but we were just the silenced gifts.

    And actually, you were one of the people I was thinking about asking to come talk at my university next semester or a year from now. I'd have to start planning the budgets and logistics fairly quickly in order to write good, comprehensive grant proposals for funding. The topic and scheme of the symposium would also have to be planned out, as well as finding people to come talk....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be so happy to, if it worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Social infertility" was only really talked about 10 years ago, and then in the context of abortion. Certainly in my own experience.

    BIG congratulations on the induction!

    "In a sense, adoption strikes a feminist (or queer, as in queer theory) dilemma: how can women in the global north satiate their desires through the oppression of women in the global south?"

    Do, do organise a symposium. There are several people and organisations who work with Honours students.

    "Even as an adopted male I feel I have more experiential authority ("authority" with a grain of salt) to talk about adoption than homosexual feminists."

    Now that is a point to stick in the craw.

    Sadly, capitalism is based in great part on exploitation. Exploitation of resource, and exploitation of people.

    ReplyDelete